[greenbuild] Re: RASTRA: opinions, experiences?

  • From: "STEVE PAISLEY" <pppaisley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:36:42 -0400

Molly--
     My aunt built a Rastra house in Seattle.   Here's what I know/think about
it based on looking into it for her:
All the benefits you've mentioned seem to be true, and my aunt is pleased with
her house.  The drawbacks seem to be:

     Lots of high-embodied energy concrete and steel rebar needed.
     Possible EMF distortions caused by the rebar grid--I don't know if there's
any real evidence of this having any effect on people or not, but some people
think it might.
     The blocks are expensive, and rebar is not cheap either.  If you're paying
someone to build it for you, you save on labor since it goes up fast and is
quick to finish if you use stucco/plaster.  Total labor & materials for my
aunt's house came out about the same as for a stick-built house.
     Hard to modify if changes or additions are wanted.
     The effective R-values that Rastra publishes (including the thermal mass
benefits) seem to be a bit exaggerated based on an independent evaluation that
I read.  Still, the performance of the wall was better that a standard
stick-built wall with fiberglass due to the elimination of air leakage through
the wall.

     I believe there is a place in Freeville that carries Rastra.  Scot (of
Frog Hill Pottery) said that he was planning to build something out of Rastra
soon.  You might also consider Durisol blocks, which were used at the O/Nolan
duplex at ecovillage.  They use wood chips instead of styrofoam, and I think
are made in Eastern Canada, as opposed to Rastra which has to come all the way
from the West Coast.

                                      --Steve Paisley