[greenbuild] Re: Introduction

  • From: Laurietodd@xxxxxxx
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:31:56 EDT

Welcome to the Fingerlakes Green Building Mailing List!

Greetings, everyone!

The idea of creating this mailing list was raised at an "open space"
Conference on Building for Sustainable Living, on  March 10 2001, in Ithaca
NY. The list is intended to facilitate communication about green (more
sustainable) building methods, materials, and activities, in particular those
which are appropriate for and occurring in the Fingerlakes region of New York
state. The focus is on the planning, design, construction and retrofitting of
buildings and landscaping, whether urban or rural, commercial, public or
residential. The list is currently not bound to any formally recognized
organization or group.

We hope this list will help to foster a regional green building community,
who will help each other by swinging hammers and stacking strawbales, in
addition to exchanging information. If you are interested in discussing green
building topics, but are not a resident of the Fingerlakes region, we suggest
you instead look into the general discussion lists at Solstice:
<http://solstice.crest.org/discuss.shtml>

As a new member of the group, you are encouraged to post a "bio" to the list,
including your main interests, where you live, your past/current/future
projects, and whatever other background info you'd like to share.

HOW TO USE THE MAILING LIST
Please don't send attachments.
'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.
'subscribe' in the Subject field.
You can also subscribe, unsubscribe, or modify your subscription via the web
interface at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi>
You'll need to enter your email address to log in, then select the
"greenbuild" list (note that listings may not be alphabetized!).

- Online, searchable archives of the list are available at:
<//www.freelists.org/archives/greenbuild>

There are various subscription options available. For example, you can choose
to receive one daily "digest" email rather than one email per posting, turn
"vacation mode" on/off, etc. Freelists' privacy policy states that they will
not share your email address with 3rd parties, so you should not see an
increase of spam due to participating in this mailing list.

USAGE GUIDELINES
- No attached files (due to issues of size and compatibility).
- No flaming.
- No lengthy or repeated advertisements (beyond your introductory bio). If
you have green building products or services to offer, please post a general
description only.  Then you can respond directly to members who inquire with
you. There will be a place on the website (TBA) for listing of regional GB
providers.
- When responding to a prior posting, the subject should always be
"RE:-----".  Example;  You post a message with the subject "solar panels",
everyone responding to what you said would use the subject "RE:solar panels",
so that everyone can follow the conversation.
- Any messages that are not of general interest should be emailed to the
individual(s) concerned, and not posted to the list
- When quoting a prior message, include only the minimum amount of quoted
text necessary for a reader to understand the context. For example, it's
inappropriate to quote an entire long email and add "I agree".
- Respect the preciousness of other readers' time. Try to avoid posting
redundant questions, or statements of opinion which do not have significant
educational value for the membership.
- First try searching the archives to see if your question has already been
answered.
- If you are cross-posting to several lists, use BCC to avoid replies going
to everyone.

We hope this list will be an informative and energizing forum for aspiring
green builders throughout our beautiful region. Enjoy!