[greenbuild] Re: Community Sustainability Series starts thisTuesday 7-9

  • From: "Christian Nielsen-Palacios" <cnp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:46:37 -0400

Any chance of them being videotaped?

>>> elansla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 9/24/01 9:44:58 AM >>>
Dear Greebuild Friends,
        I hope you can participate in this series of community=20
dialogues I have been seting up around creating a sustainable local=20
economy and culture. It starts this Tuesday night at 7 at the=20
Unitarian Church of Ithaca with a presentation by Rob Young about=20
"Steps To a Sustainable Ithaca", and includes a substantial=20
participatory portion in which everyone present is involved in=20
clarifying what those "steps" might be. Also please note that Sara=20
Highland will do a presentation on Sustainable Homebuilding as part=20
of the November 28th event.
Please share this notice with friends and kindred networks.
Thanks,
                Elan Shapiro
                275-0249

CREATING A JUST AND SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY,
STARTING FROM WHERE WE LIVE
  A Community Sustainability Project of the Center for Religion,=20
Ethics, & Social Policy (CRESP)

  This speaker and community dialogue series, free of charge to the=20
general public, is an opportunity to envision together an Ithaca that=20
supports the long-term health of its neighborhoods, communities, and=20
ecosystems. The presentations, held at various times and locations in=20
downtown Ithaca, Cornell University, and Ithaca College, will be=20
followed by small group discussions, a participatory town meeting=20
format, and refreshments from local farms and food producers. Can we=20
realistically create a local economy and culture based on creative=20
partnerships, economic justice, ecological design, and policies and=20
lifestyles that foster diversity and long-term well being? Can we be=20
a center of hope in these troubling times? Come to one or all of=20
these inspirational presentations and be part of the answer!

  Tuesday Sept  25, 7-9 PM, Unitarian Church of Ithaca (Buffalo and=20
Aurora Streets). "Steps to a Sustainable Ithaca: Success Stories and=20
Strategies" by Rob Young,. Rob will share examples from his=20
wide-ranging experiences, of sustainability strategies that work, and=20
how they might apply to an achievable vision for our own community.
Rob Young, runs a zero-emission organic farm in Van Etten, New York,=20
is a visiting lecturer at Cornell's Department of City and Regional=20
planning, and was the nation's first statewide director of=20
Sustainable Development, under Christie Todd Whitman in New Jersey
  Wednesday Oct 10, 4-6 PM, One World Room, Anabel Taylor Hall,=20
Cornell. "Visions of Sustainability: From Farm and Forest to Downtown=20
Redevelopment" by John Barney, conservation planner at Cornell, and=20
David Kay, regional planner, Local Government Program at Cornell.=20
John and David will focus on our sense of place, on how our regional=20
land use patterns have changed, and on achievable visions for the=20
future that can serve the well being of both urban and rural areas=20
within Ithaca.

Thursday, Oct. 25, 12:10-1:05pm, Ithaca College, for room location=20
contact Tom Shevory (274-1347) shevory@xxxxxxxxxxx "Teaching and=20
Practicing Sustainable Living." by Barbara Anderson, founder, Penn=20
State Center for Sustainability.  This presentation is a good=20
introduction and complement to the more extensive evening program=20
below.

Thursday Oct 25, 7-9  PM, Unitarian Church of Ithaca (Buffalo and=20
Aurora Streets). "Partnerships for Sustainability: A Success Story=20
from Penn State and the Center County" by Barbara Anderson, founder,=20
Penn State Center for Sustainability. Barbara will share lessons from=20
her pioneering work at Penn State where she has applied simple=20
ecological principles to campus greening, university and community=20
partnerships for sustainability, and healthy lifestyle change. Small=20
group discussions to follow.

  Thursday Nov 8, 7-9 PM, Women's Community Building (Seneca and=20
Cayuga Streets).
  "Promoting Sustainability in Established and Planned Communities:=20
The Northside and EcoVillage Cases" by Liz Walker, director,=20
EcoVillage at Ithaca; Rob Champion, EcoVillage field supervisor for=20
second neighborhood construction; and Ken Reardon, neighborhood=20
planner and professor of city and regional planning at Cornell. Our=20
panelists will explore how "bottom-up" neighborhood envisioning and=20
organizing, building cooperative relationships, and taking a=20
long-term perspective can help reverse inner city decay and suburban=20
sprawl in our region.

Thursday, Nov. 15, 12:10-1:05pm, Ithaca College, for room location=20
contact Tom Shevory (274-1347) shevory@xxxxxxxxxx "Sustainable=20
Agriculture and Living in Place," by Elizabeth Henderson, CSA farmer=20
and organic foods activist. This presentation is a good introduction=20
and complement to the more extensive evening program below.

Thursday Nov. 15, 4-6 PM, 401Warren Hall, Cornell. "Civic=20
Agriculture, Regional Diets, and Sustainable Living" by Tom Lyson,=20
mayor of Freeville, and professor of rural sociology at Cornell;=20
Jennifer Wilkins, senior extension associate in nutritional sciences=20
at Cornell; and Elizabeth Henderson, CSA farmer and organic foods=20
activist. Our panelists will explore local, sustainably oriented food=20
production and consumption options, and their link to creating a=20
healthy lifestyle, regional economy, and culture.

Wednesday Nov 28, 7-9 PM, Women's Community Building (Seneca and=20
Cayuga Streets). "Foundations of a Sustainable Economy: Small=20
Businesses Development, the Living Wage Campaign, Sustainable=20
Homebuilding, and Transportation Strategies" by Bill Myers, CEO,=20
Alternative Federal Credit Union; Sara Highland, Natural Builder's=20
Network; and Frances Vanek, Director, Sustainable Technology and=20
Energy Institute. Our panelists will explore cutting-edge=20
developments and creative options for building a sustainable local=20
economy through changes in our ways of doing work, homebuilding, and=20
transportation.

  This series was made possible through major co-sponsorship from the=20
Cornell University Department of Rural Sociology, the Cornell Center=20
For The Environment, EcoVillage at Ithaca, the Student Sustainable=20
Agriculture Working Group, Ithaca College Department of Environmental=20
Studies, the Ithaca College Environmental Society, and the=20
Alternative Federal Credit Union, with support from the Sierra Club,=20
Citizen's Planning Alliance, Tompkins County Green Party, and the=20
Finger Lakes Land Trust.
  For more information on these events and on the Community=20
Sustainability Project, see www.cfe.cornell.edu/community/or contact=20
Elan Shapiro at 607-275-0249, or e-mail=20
elansla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx =20

--=20
Elan Shapiro
Sustainable Living Associates and
Living Routes : Ecovillage Education Consortium
124 Rachel Carson Way   Ithaca, NY 14850
607-275-0249    elansla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx y
"We must be the change we want to see in the world." Mohandas Gandhi