[gptalk] Re: Assistance

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:57:26 -0800

Chris-
Happy to help.

If you are asking if you can add other users to a group that is managed by
Restricted Groups, then the answer is, probably not. Restricted Groups has
two modes. One mode takes total control over group membership--that sounds
like the mode you are using. That mode will strip any "non-sanctioned users
or groups" out of the controlled group each time GP security processing runs
(every 16 hours by default or if anything has changed in GP). The other mode
of Restricted Groups, which you may want to switch to, lets you add
particular groups to other groups. That mode is non-exclusive, and your
domain-linked GPO could add the groups it wants and you could add the groups
you want locally using, for example an OU-linked policy or a startup script
and the 'net localgroup' command.

Hopefully that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

From: Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:02 am