[gpsbug] Yesterday Willoughby Memorial Regatta

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WhiteShoal \('Gpsbug@Freelists. Org '\)" <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 06:57:46 -0400

Want to report that I am making some progress in outfitting "Eclipse" to do
a little racing, and in figuring out how to make her go.  We took a second
yesterday and got our first "hardware" with the new boat.  Do I need to tell
you who was first?  John Edwards, sailing Recovery with Jim Groves and his
sons, of course.  It was a beautiful day, with winds in mid-20's,
occaisional gusts to 30+, and an 8.5 mile course that had about 4.5 miles of
beating and 4 miles of reaching.  Going upwind was a lot like work, but the
reaches were spectacular, with boats surfing at 8+ knots in bright sun and
sparkling whitecaps.  Anyway, aside from having some regret for encouraging
John E to race, I feel great and wanted to share this day.

I hope more of the gang can come "downeast" for some of these races.  Most
of the Willoughby races are on Saturdays, getting there can be a long summer
day, or a reasonable day followed by overnight at anchor in the little bay
or in one of Willoughby Harbor Marina's many transient slips.

Schedule for all handicap racing around here can be found at
www.hamptonyc.com and following the link to "yacht racing/handicap fleet".

Willoughby is having the hot buttered rum race on Nov 5th, that's always
fun, and next weekend is Old Point "Round the lights" race, which can
sometimes be grueling, as it is a long race that enjoys what are argueably
worst tidal currents in Hampton Roads.  (i.e.  The entrance at Fort Monroe,
and the mixmaster at the confluence of the James and Elizabeth rivers.)

Congrats to John, Jim, and the guys, and thanks for not flying that J.R.