[gpsbug] Revised Website

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Gpsbug@Freelists. Org '" <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:01:36 -0500

If you haven't checked out the schedule, revised ratings, and spring start
times, take a look at the website revisions at:

http://webpages.charter.net/j.wandling/index.html

In addition to what is on the site, I plan to make a minor change in the
race setup to accomodate that we now have a few boats starting at the same
time:

(1)  The club has provided a drop mark (an orange ball with a river anchor
attached) that the race committee will try to position as one end of the
starting line (Pagan River R2  will be the other end).  We'll set this so
that the line will be as square as possible to the wind direction.  That
way, neither end of line will be greatly "favored" so there should not be so
much of a traffic jam.

(2)  To finish, you must come back across the line in the opposite direction
from which you started.  Since there won't be anyone there to move the mark,
this will usually favor one end or the other greatly, but this should not be
nearly as much of a problem as when starting.

(3)  Added duty for the last finisher:  The last finisher is asked to
retrieve the drop mark and arrange for it to get to the next start.

(4)  If you are not familiar with the rules of racing, particulary the parts
concerning "when boats meet", you should review them.  Remember, boats are
subject to these rules immediately on the prepatory signal and throughout
the race.

The US Sailing Website has some pretty good references, but that part of the
book can be summarized as follows:

(1)  Boats on starboard tack have right of way over boats on port tack.
(2)  Leeward boats have right of way over windward boats.
(3)  Boats not starting shall not interfere with boats attempting to start.
(4)  Regardless of above you must:
        (a)  give way to a boat that needs room to clear a hazard or obstruction
           meaning - should be clear
        (b)  that at a mark rounding has established an overlap within two boat
           of that mark this typically happens when rounding a leeward mark.
           meaning - two boats approach a mark, both on the same tack.  Boat
           is to the leeward (downwind) of Boat B, and since he is leeward
           boat, has right-of-way.  But, if Boat B can establish an overlap
           (i.e.  get his bow past the stern of Boat A), Boat A must give
           Boat B enough room to get between Boat A and the mark.  In other
           words, Boat A cannot "cut off" Boat B by sailing close to the
mark.
           This is one of most misunderstood rules in sailing.  But, if you
think
           about the geometry involved, you can see that it is simple, fair,
           and reasonable.  By the way, the two boat lengths are based on
the
           length of the longer boat.  Note also that when approaching a
           windward mark, this rule does not apply.  We revert back to the
           basic rules regarding boats on the opposite tack, and if the
boats
           are on the same tack, and the lead boat can point up that much
           higher than the trailing boat, then the trailing boat must
           avoid collision by luffing or tacking away.

I am hoping that the tweaking we have done (thanks to George and Sam Tatum
for their welcome input!)  will provide more fun and more competition.  I
look forward to sailing with you all again this year.

Again, if you find some potential "recruits", have them contact me
 j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx and/or visit the website.

Thanks.

John