[gpsbug] Fall Series, Instructions, Entry, and New Handicapping Form

  • From: "John" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 23:32:01 -0400

Guys,

Please check out our website at www.wandling.net/whiteshoal for the
instructions for the fall series, entry instructions and a new form for
our revised handicapping system.

A word about the new system.  After consulting with a number of
skippers, and looking at what other clubs do, I have come up with a new
system that I hope will let us race spinnakers vs non-spinnakers and be
more fair to cruising skippers and primarily cruising boats.  I hope the
form is straight-forward, but let me offer a brief explanation to go
with it:

Name, contact information, and boat information are same as before.  I
have added a section for cruising credits.  The way it works is,
You get the number of seconds indicated if you check the box.  For
example, if you are rated 129 under PHRF but do not use a spinnaker, you
will automatically get 12 seconds added, then, if you have never
finished in the top half of a fleet, and check that box, you will get
another 6 seconds.  If your boat has a Radar antenna (1 more second),
and a Diesel Genset (2more), your handicap is now (129 + 12 + 6 + 1 + 2
), or 150.  Another example, if you do not have a PHRF rating, check the
appropriate boxes.  (Say non-spinnaker (12), Never Raced (6), and Sails
Older than 5 yrs (4).  I will assign a rating based on other boats (180,
say), and add 22 more seconds, for a total of 202.

Using Rebecca J as an example:
My PHRF Rating is 129.  I would like to use my spinnaker (no seconds),
but I leave my outboard mounted on the stern (1 second),  So my
WhiteShoal rating will be 130.

Using Southern Yankee as an example  (Although I'm not sure I am aware
of all her equipment):
Her base PHRF Rating is 162.  She has no spinnaker (+12), has never
finished in the top half of our fleet (apologies to George, but his old
rating was killing him!) (+6), I think she has older sails (4), Air
Conditioner on board (2), a microwave (1), a radar antenna (1), a
Fridge(2), Could race with Dodger and Bimini in place (2), has a 70 foot
chain rode (1), a fixed, 3-bladed prop (2), and 3 batteries (2).  If all
my assumptions are correct, I would add all this together and her
handicap would be 197.

So, instead of Rebecca J "giving" her 32 secs/mile, she would get 67
seconds.  RJ would "spot" her about 7 minutes instead of 3 or so.

I did not pull these numbers completely out of thin air.  I read a
couple of articles on handicapping boats, the effects of fixed props,
for example, looked hard at the way Old Point does it, talked to some
friends, and then pulled them out of the ensuing confusion.  I think
they are bound to be better than last year, but probably none are
perfect.  So let's try them.

Once your handicap is established you cannot change it until the end of
the series.  In other words, If I sign up to use my "chute", and we
never get a deep downwind leg, I cannot change mid-series and try to get
the additional 12 seconds.   Likewise, if you sign up to carry you
dinghy on davits or on deck, you have to carry it for the entire series.

A final note:  Some of you may have noticed that Rebecca J (the boat,
not the wife) is for sale.  I have not fallen out of love with either
one of them, but I think I am getting to the age where I need a boat you
can stand up in.  So, if I can sell her and find a fairly fast boat with
a bit more creature comfort (J30 maybe), I will.  I will race whatever
boat I have this fall.  If you or anyone you know is interested in a
fast, fun boat to sail, steer them to:
www.wandling.net/j27.

Thanks.  Please get the new handicap form to me in a couple of weeks so
I have enough time to handicap everyone before the 28th.

John