[gps-talkusers] Re: your assessment of C E S?

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:35:46 -0800

Jim,

It will take me a week or two to compile my CES report.

Every once in a while something is accessible accidentally. I always look for those things. There was one cool stereo speaker that we might use with the Stream or BrailleNote, which I will talk about.

On the GPS front, there are something interesting developments but nothing to rush out and purchase, maybe things you would buyfor a sighted person. There was a keychain GPS device which is strictly for finding your way back to your hotel or your car in a parking lot. it has a single button and a compass so you record your position when you leave your car and then the little display points your way back to the car when you return, $100.

I recorded my demo with Garmin inside a car at their booth so it is a pretty good recording.

I'll let you all know when I post the report.

Hi Mike, I know that cES is over tomorrow. I looked for stuff from you on the Sendero site but didn't find anything today. I heard some discussion of the latest and greatest techie stuff today on NPR and not once did I hear the words accessible or accessibility. Of course I would have been surprised if I had. I hope you tried to put Accessibility on people's radar as you went around, but then, that would be an overwhelming task and you would probably be seen as a winer depending on how you went about it. At any rate, with the advent of all the "new, cool" (touch screen) stuff, and surely more to come, because as we all know the I-Phone is just SO COOL right????? Anyway I hope, but doubt, that vendors are thinking of accessibility when they are making all sorts of things ranging from many new pocket devices, interactive touch menus for restaurants, tabletop touch screens with icons like those being developed by Microsoft, and wall sized interactive computer menus and video displays. Just curious what you discovered there and your thoughts about the future trends of off the shelf products that might be accessible for blind folks. Clearly the Garman product is one that, while half way there, might as well not be considered as such at all. Looking forward to your comments. Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael May" <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>