[gps-talkusers] Re: unique GPS experiences

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:13:30 -0700

Hello all,

Our GPS replay function really already does this record and play back GPS tracks. It records everything the receiver is detecting to disk. Problem is its only once per second so you may miss a lot of data. The data is time stamped so you can do correlations after the fact. I did see a spike in speed but no where near what we were actually doing. The max it registered was 10 miles per hour where we were doing somewhere near 200. Also the elevations went completely out of whack when we were flung off into the air. So needless to say this is not the best device to monitor quick accelerations / decelerations.

Charles.

At 11:03 AM 10/16/2007, you wrote:
That's a really cool idea! I've seen a few mentions of trips and such but this is pretty cool. You could extend this to all sorts of experiences, skydiving comes to mind right off the bat. Does the Braille Note and Sindero GPS software have any way of capturing the navigation data and then either reporting it back (the trip taken) with time code or can I get output from a port and record? Time code would be really useful for applications like this. My car has telemetry (speed, RPM, G forces, air pressure and oxygen content, fuel burn rates, and so on). It would be cool to take the gps data, match it to my telemetry data which I capture on a laptop now and maybe some high quality microphones / recorders and record a race. You could play it back and you know here what the engine sounds like near redline in straight aways or measure the G forces when you're turning through the apex's and hear the sound of the gears snapping in and out. Combine that with GPS so you get road position. For example how does the car sound and perform breaking 180 on 280 south. This is a really cool application for the device and I bet a heck of a ride on that bungee platform. I tried it with a little less official approval off a bridge:) but we definitely didn't record the adventure. No need to make evidence gathering easier. Thanks for posting the idea and the recordings.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael May" <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>