[gps-talkusers] Re: phone based GPS systems

  • From: Mary Otten <motten53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:55:58 -0700

Hi Mike,
Interesting. When I was at East Lake Campground, an area without phone service,
and using Navigon on my Ipod with no wifi, and of course no phone service
because IPod doesn't have that capability even had there been a connection, the
gps correctly identified our location. The poi search wasn't very helpful, but
it had us in the right area. this is with the add on gps cradle/battery for the
Touch. The gps accuracy wasn't that great, although not as bad as what you
cited. But we were in an area with lots of trees, so I assumed that was why the
accuracy was rated as it was. I didn't have my sensenav, because my voicesense
is in the shop for repair, so I couldn't do a comparison.
 I wonder if the issue isn't with the way the IPhone needs cell service for
gps. I heard that was true. Even though the app can work without that service.
I know other IPod touch users who use Navigon all the time with their Touches
while out and about walking or driving with no wifi.

Mary

mary

Mary Otten
motten53@xxxxxxxxx