[gps-talkusers] Re: e: Re: Roundabouts

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:47:40 -0700

Hi Gavin,

Yeah after first hand experience with roundabouts in Australia last week, I can appreciate the complexities of roundabouts a little better. I don't think I will ever say you are turning Right from a roundabout when entering the roundabout because the exit happens to be on the right hand side when you first enter. What we will look at is accurately figuring out the # of exits and say take the 3rd exit. One might think this is easy, well it isn't, there could be overpasses going on-top of the roundabout, now they don't intersect but in a two-dimensional modal they do so you need to know what elevation they are at. Then there are issues with separate on ramps and off ramps to the roundabout, and combined on/off ramps to the roundabout, and other things that intersect roundabouts all which make accurately saying take the 3rd exit very complex, and is why it hasn't been implemented yet. We have a good first crack at it with the 4.02 release and we will continue to improve it moving forward. You can always go into virtual mode and manually move along the roundabout to get a feeling of the # of exits you must pass before exiting, but keep in mind you will stop at non-exits as well.

Charles

At 03:02 PM 10/15/2007, you wrote:
Hi Charles
The big problem I come up against is that when I'm with my support worker-driver approaching a roundabout, he needs to know which lane on the roundabout to get into so he doesn't have to make a dangerous maneuver.

If your turning right at a roundabout for example on entering the roundabout you would take the inside lane then prior to the exit your taking you indicate left and move over to the outside lane, but if you were taking the first left exit, you would stay in the outside lane.

At the moment the first instruction we're given to pass on to the driver at the roundabout is "turn left" so the driver sets himself ready to turn left then we say "oh no its actually right" and we're not able to say how many exits to pass before the one we should take, this makes my driver very uneasy.

I completely agree when traveling a pedestrian route the description at a roundabout is perfect as it would only confuse us if we were told all about the various exits and sending us the shortest way is fine, I wonder why the (Tom-Tom) gps system can do this, it would be really helpful if this were added in the future.

Regards Gavin

Gavin Atkins,
tel: M 07702:051633,
Email: gavin.atkins@xxxxxxxxxx

Support Guide Dogs by using MagicTaxis FREE internet search engine and email.
MagicTaxi gives 50 % of its advertising revenue to charity.
For more information see wwwddguidedogsddorgdduk/magictaxi