[gps-talkusers] Using GPS maps

  • From: jaydailey <kc8sti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GPS <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:24:52 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have been experimenting with my GPS for a couple of months and I would like
to share what works for me.

I have found a good way to load the maps that really makes it easy.  There is
no delay when going to the hard drive.

I am using a Kingston 5 Gig.

First of all, go to the manufactuerer of the hard drive that you are using and
get the proper reader for it.

This has helped in the loading of my maps.

Load the maps into geographic folders such as Midwest, Southern, and so forth.
By doing this you can help speed things up.

Make sure that each folder has no more than 5 states.

Make sure that when you are loading the maps onto the hard drive that you open
each state on the CD, and copy just the files.  The easy way to do this is to
select all of the files within the state folder.

After following this procedure, you should not have any difficulty using your 5
gig with GPS.

Jay Dailey