[gps-talkusers] Re: USB port adaptor

  • From: Tiffany Manosh <tmanosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:52:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dick,

The stick you described has many names.  They can be called Thumb drives, Jump
drives, Memory sticks and so forth they are all basically the same thing a
storage device that plugs into the USB port.  I have a 512 MB Sand Disk and a
128 MB Universal Smart Drive that both work with the MPower.  I think at this
point it is trial and error to see which brands work and which do not.
Tiffany Manosh

Richard Myers <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, Les,
I'm not sure what a thumb drive is. I have a thing called a Data Stick III,
that's what it says on the outside, and it's made by Centon, whoever they
are. It's 1GB in capacity, and is about the size of a small cigarette
lighter. One end of it plugs directly into a USB port. As far as I can
tell, it works just fine. Could that be the same as a Thumb Drive? I think
that Mike was saying that Lexar memory sticks cause problems, so perhaps it
is the brand name that you should be careful of. If there is something
wrong with the memory stick, there is no USB adapter imaginable that could
cure that problem.

Will that Lexar work on a standard PC or a laptop? It would be interesting
to put it through its paces on something other than your M-Power.

Dick

(8):[(8)

From: "Les Kriegler"
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: USB port adaptor
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 06:27:02 -0400

Hi Dick,

In addition, it would hopefully accommodate thumb drives that do not work on
the M Power such as mine. I have a Lexar 1 GB drive that the M Power won't
recognize.
Best Regards,

Les

From: "Carl Simmons"
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Other card options for maps and pois
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:33:20 -0700

Most "Thumb" drives that I have tested are functional on the mPower and we
are still testing, but I would take care using a thumb drive with the GPS as
it does stick out of the USB port and could be easily broken when you are
carrying the mPower. When the mPower is on a desk or table top this should
not be a problem.

Carl Simmons
Sendero Group Training and Technical Support 1-888-757-6810 Ext. 106
carl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx