[gps-talkusers] Re: Traveling in New York City

  • From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:47:21 -0400

Hello,
The following is taken directly from the Sendero GPS manual on the
arrival distance.  The same apply's if you are running Sendero GPS on
your BrailleNote/Voice Note or if you are running Sense Navigation.

The Arrival Distance option allows you to set the distance from your
Waypoints at
which they are announced. In other words, when you are within X feet,
or meters,
of your Waypoint, Sendero GPS automatically announces that you are
approaching
that Waypoint. The default is 50 feet (16 meters) in an automatically
created route
and half that distance, or 25 feet (8 meters), for manually created
routes. The arrival
distance automatically increases if you increase your speed in the
following intervals:
?       5-15 MPH equals 2 times arrival distance, 100 feet.
?       15-40 MPH equals 5 times arrival distance, 250 feet.
?       40 MPH and faster equals 10 times arrival distance, 500 feet.
If you switch between meters and feet, the Arrival Distance may shift
a digit or
two to round off the setting.
When you select this option, GPS prompts: "Arrival Distance? Press
ENTER for number
" where number is the number that is currently set as your arrival
distance. To change
the distance, type the new distance as a number value e.g. 60 feet as
60 or 20 meters
as 20 and press
ENTER
. The arrival setting also affects Waypoint and turning point
announcements within
routes.
If you don?t feel alerts are triggering soon enough, increase the
Arrival Distance.
If you feel they are prematurely announced, reduce the Arrival
Distance. Note: If
you are within 12 feet, or 4 meters, of your Waypoint, Sendero GPS
announces that
you are "near" your Waypoint without a heading or distance.

Hope this helps.
Chris
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:57:16 -0400, "Eric Brinkman"
<eric.brinkman1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Really?  I remember being told that I should set the arrival or near
>distance to 1500 or 2000 feet in a car, but only 10 or 15 feett when
>walking.
>
>Eric
>
>On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Richard Turner <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>> I believe the arrival distance is automatically adjusted based on the speed
>> you are traveling.
>> The one thing that may cause some limitation on the accuracy is all the
>> tall buildings. That can
>> decrease the accuracy of the signals you are getting.
>> Walking in New York city is a challenge whether you can see or not. Just
>> follow the crowds.
>> And, don't drink too much, then you won't have to worry about the device.
>> Otherwise, I'd leave it
>> at home. Or, you could probably find a fanny-pack that would be large
>> enough to hold it and make sure
>> it is securely buckled on.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> Richard
>>

>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:28:42 -0400, Eric Brinkman wrote:
>>

>> >Hi, At the beginning of august, I will be spending a day with some friends
>> in
>> >New York City, and I would like to put my Sense Nav to good use.  I took
>> my
>> >Voice Sense with me to NYC once before, but didn't find the GPS all that
>> >useful.  Since then, I have spent some time messing around with the maps
>> at
>> >home, and I think I am a little more prepared now.  I have a few questions
>> >though. I haven't updated my maps at all since I received the VS with
>> Sense Nav
>> >back in january.  Should I update them or download any of the user created
>> POIS
>> >from Sendero before I leave? Should I ajust any of the settings for
>> arrival
>> >distance and/or near distance?  I'm not sure what the difference between
>> the
>> >two is, although I know I should change them when I'm in a vehicle to
>> account
>> >for the faster speed. This is sorta off topic, but I'm a little worried
>> about
>> >crossing streets in the city.  Here at college in Poughkeepsie I'm ok with
>> >listening to trafic cycles and crossing a busy road, but when I've gone to
>> NYC
>> >alone I end up always taking cabs because I'm afraid I'll get run over.
>>  Is
>> >there another list that would be useful for discussing thisgs like this?
>> >Lastly, I'm not sure where I should and shouldn't take the VS.  For
>> example,
>> >I'm going to a Judas Priest/Black Sabbath concert later in august.  I
>> would
>> >like to use the GPS to help get there, but I don't want something to
>> happen to
> [...]
Chris Grabowski
- Customer Support and Product testing
Sendero Group
"The GPS company." Also, distributors of the mPower, PK, Victor
Stream, Voice Sense, Braille Sense, KNFB Mobile Reader, Talks, Miniguide and ID
Mate

Phone: 888-757-6810 EXT. 113
Email: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx