[gps-talkusers] Threshold versus arrival distance

  • From: Michael May <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:20:18 -0700

Hope,

The fifty feet number you refer to is the arrival distance. That has to do with
destination and other automatic things triggering when you are nearby.
Destination for example will trigger in a route when you are 1.25 times the
Arrival distance, meaning 62.5 feet.

You should normally leave that alone although I will change it when in using
GPS on an airplane in order to get nearby points of interest to trigger when
you are in a sparsely populated area.

The Threshold setting on the other hand defaults to 12 feet as Chris indicates.
That means that anything less than 12 feet will just be indicated as, "nearby."
If you want to hear lower distance numbers like 3 feet for your target
waypoints in a route, you can lower the threshold. Keep in mind that with
normal GPS inaccuracies, anything less than 12 feet is pretty phenomenal.