[gps-talkusers] Re: Seeing Eye GPS Issues

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:53:28 -0400

A lot of that is the server-based maps. For instance, if you are driving fast,
you may well pass through one or two intersections before the app knows about
them since you passed them between server queries. A similar thing may have
happened while you were walking, though in my experience the announcements came
too early, not too late. Were you perhaps around tall buildings or had poor
cell coverage? What was your accuracy while you were walking?
On Jul 15, 2013, at 1:35 PM, "Baracco, Andrew W" <Andrew.Baracco@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed this app shortly before leaving for the ACB
> convention in Columbus OH, which I thought would be a great opportunity to
> test the app in an unfamiliar environment. Like many, I was first confused
> when the app was a free download, but had no functionality until you
> purchased a subscription. I was surprised, because even if you buy a car, you
> have a chance to test drive it.
>
> That being as it may, I couldn’t wait to put it through its paces in Ohio.
> My first disappointment came when I discovered that it would not announce
> intersections if you are traveling in a vehicle. I was so used to this
> functionality in the Trekker, and I believe that it worked on the Braillenote
> devices as well.  I found a button that I thought would allow for adjustment
> of this parameter, but tapping it did nothing.
>
> I also did a fair amount of walking in downtown Columbus, and was
> disappointed there as well.  There was a significant lag in performance, I.
> e. intersections and POI’s would be announced long after I passed them. Thank
> God I was walking with a sighted person. I was also disappointed that the app
> relies exclusively on Voiceover, which is often hard to understand in a noisy
> environment. Blind Square, and apps like Navigon and Tom Tom offer additional
> voices. I think that for the price, having a HQ voice isn’t asking too much.
> I would also like to have some control over the speed threshold for
> announcing intersections, just like you can for POI’s. I understand that this
> is a 1.0 release, but perhaps there should have been a discount for those who
> purchase the initial product.
>
> Andy

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)