[gps-talkusers] Re: Question about tonight's presentation:

  • From: "Bob Sweetman" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 23:29:00 -0700

The Surface is a small tablet computer manufactured by Microsoft. The
Surface Pro comes loaded with Windows 8 and it has a touch screen. You must
use the Surface Pro if you want to run Windows; this is required for Sendero
Maps PC. The unit has a keyboard which is sold separately for $120; it
clicks onto the bottom edge of the tablet magnetically. Initially, I
purchased this keyboard; otherwise, I would have had only a touch screen
keyboard. However, it also has one USB port into which you can plug a USB
keyboard, or a powered hub containing an external hard drive and a USB
keyboard.

Later, I added a Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated keyboard, (model K810), so
that I could place the unit in a bag or backpack and just run it from the
keyboard. I keep the bag open a bit to let air in; and it helps that the
vents on the Surface are on the top edge so they are facing up.

Logitech makes a small keyboard configuration application that you can
download. With this, we were able to configure the Bluetooth keyboard so
that the function keys work normally. Without this, you would need to press
Alt+Function+F4 to close a window or program. This is normally done in CMOS
for a Windows system, but the tablets are solid state and boot so fast that
it would not be possible to go into CMOS like you would on a normal desktop
or laptop.

Both JAWS for Windows and Window-Eyes run well on the Surface. It helps if
you configure the tiles to be the same size, and then organize the tiles on
the touch screen so that the items that you use most often are arranged in a
grid pattern that comes up when you press the Windows key. We configured the
system for Best Performance and minimized graphics as much as possible.
Also, it is important to show file extensions, just as you would in Windows
7.

The tablets are very fast. Computation of a route from Los Angeles to San
Francisco takes less than a second.