[gps-talkusers] Previewing Next Turns

  • From: Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:59:34 -0800

Steve,

The issue of the street/city being matched up is an issue of the way TeleAtlas
decides to draw their city  lines in the  maps and
there are multiple ways streets can be refered to. There is an option under the
GPS Options menu that will toggle between short and
long street names. Short will give the common name and long will give the
extended as well as the common name. I will use an
interstate as an example. Under 3.5, I-5 was refered to as West Side Freeway,
that is if the short street name was selected. I never
heard it refered to as West Side, but long street name will display I-5 and
West Side Freeway.

When I find out that a POI isn't in the database, I will Record it as a User
POI with as much information as possible, including
address and phone number if I have the information. Once I have a good
collection of shareable POIs, I will submit it to Sendero at
the end of the month. I believe there are over 10,000 User POIs in the database
that users of the Sendero GPS and GW Sense
Navigation can tap into. I will be submitting over 150 more User POIs this
month.

What I personally do when approaching an off-rampo and would probably do when
the next turn is indicated to be a roundabout is to
preview the next few turns of the route. If I have enough time before starting
off the route, I will preview the route so I could
make a mental nnote of where I need to give extra  attention when giving
directions or following directions. To follow the route you
will press dots 36 to move turn by turn or dots 2356 to move back waypoint by
waypoint. In order to move to the previous
turn/waypoint, you will want to press SPACE with the command that is required
to explore the next turn/waypoint.

I am not quite clear on the buffering issue that you describe. It will be
interesting to know if with the Sendero GPS 4.22 and
KeySoft 7.5.28 software installed that if you still have this buffering issue.

Kevin

  _____