[gps-talkusers] Naming POIs - standards?

  • From: David Jordet <sailbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:34:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm new to the group and have a question about naming points, specifically on
college campuses. I just searched the archives but didn't come across answers
to my question.

Any feedback would be great!

For starters, does a standard exist to create POI names for buildings, etc. on
campuses so that it is useful all users of any kind of GPS device?

(also if a standard exists does it include the recommendation that any POI
should include all information that is available in visual signage [ie.
building name and services or on an emergency call box directions on how to use
it if not already provided in braille]?)

I am trying to create POIs for the college campus across the street from me. I
do not attend this college but wanted others to have access to the POIs.

My method had been to follow this formula: 'college name' then 'building name'
then 'details.'

I thought by entering the college name first then anyone searching POIs would
simply be able to type the college name as the search string.
But I've discovered that when walking around the campus it becomes annoying to
1. hear the college name constantly and 2. taking extra time to listen to
college name and 3. not being able to simply type in building name.

I'm considering changing all the names using the following technique:
To circumvent the need and use of using the college name for each point, I
figured it would work to create one POI for the main entrance or primary
building (university center or union) with the college name at the beginning.
Any additional POIs for the campus would have the campus name after the
building name.
A user, if planning a visit, can simply make the 'main' point the virtual
location and search more easily among the other campus points from that virtual
location; or if already on campus can search points in GPS mode.

Would this technique be useful for anyone using any type of GPS?

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks!
Dave

Be a better friend, newshound, and