[gps-talkusers] Re: Manhattan

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:56:39 +0900

Take a square of astro-turf with you when you take your dog to the hotel. It is plastic and will wash easily. Haha. Put that in your POI files!!

(8):[(8)

From: Michael May <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: "GPS-talkusers-freelists.org" <GPS-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gps-talkusers] Manhattan Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:38:41 -0500

I have had a chance to explore more on my own than the last few times I have been in Manhattan. Of course, with the extremely tall buildings, navigation is a bit different here.

Like we say in the manual, it is essential to get in the open for the first acquisition of satellites and then the fix holds pretty well even among tall buildings in mid town and lower Manhattan. I'd say on average I lose the fix half of the time between blocks and then acquire again at the intersection.

The accuracy varies all over the place. I can be right on or as much as a block off. It doesn't matter that much because the grid pattern is so predictable here. The avenues run north and south and the numbered streets east and west. The even streets run east and the odd streets one way west. There are clear reminders like the median in the middle of Park avenue.

I have really used the explore mode a lot here. There are an incredible number of POIs in Manhattan. They act just like yellow pages with positions. I have found almost everything I have searched for. Then, I set it as a destination, create a virtual route, learn the route before I head out and off I go. If I lose satellites, it doesn't matter that much because I have done my homework ahead of time. Occasionally, I lose count of the street number I am at and then rely on my GPS to remind me.

My favorite find was a singer song writer place called the Living Room. It had a different act every hour, no cover and affordable food. I found the time Square half priced ticket booth and a bunch of other places on my own. I even had one guy ask me where the Hyat Regency hotel was and I was able to give him directions. I thought it was cold that he would ask a blind guy for directions, little did he know I had a GPS under my coat.

Probably the biggest pain has been the 8 block walk to Central Park to relieve my dog. Sure isn't a blade of grass near my hotel.

I am happy to see that the BrailleNote GPS is very useful in Manhattan despite all the tall buildings. It just takes a slightly different approach.

Mike

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T tactile watch, and the ID Mate bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

1-888-757-6810, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West