[gps-talkusers] Re: I've had a bloody awful day with this gps.

  • From: "gerry leary" <lgerry3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:20:02 -0700

Hello Richard,

I probably should read the rest of my email before I respond but I would
like to respond to your original message.  All of this equipment may be new
to the blind but a lot of us do expect and rightfully so that a company
should have the logistics and mechanics of wiring plugs, straps and mounting
brackets.  Some plastics and other materials are new but the concepts of how
to hook things together are not new at all.  We don't need to be getting
commercial equipment that is difficult or not well planed.  I had a long
time desire to know what street I was on, and some about the area that I am
in.  So when the first talking gps came out I went for it.  Then it was new,
and yes the software was young and needed to grow, but the mechanics were
the first of their kind, and they worked well.  For example the sender
epack.  The sighted community still doesn't have anything like it, and
neither does the Amateur radio community.  It is a wonderful and very useful
pack if you are an electronics nut.  When I got mine I was lucky, because
even though I was a car mechanic for over forty years Jim at Beyond Sight
took a lot of time to show me some of the creative ways that I could use the
pack.  I would have never thought of them with out h9is suggestions.  I
think that all that Marry Ellen needs is a little help from some of us who
have become accomplished users of the system.  Gerry