[gps-talkusers] Gps last weekend:

  • From: "Mary Ellen Earls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:02:54 -0700

Hi folks!
Well my gps certainly earned its keep and then some last weekend when family were here visiting. We traveled probably 120 miles all told, and had a regular commercial gps as well as the Sendero GPS. I also wanted to use Trekker but the cradle seems to have gone out and so we had to table that idea. But the 2 greatest options were follow route with turns only andauto recalculation of routes. My Sister doesn't listen and so that recalculation feature got a tremendous workout. But it was interesting to hear the commercial gps telling us to stay in the right lane so we could make that right turn wherever. I was particularly intrigued because a couple asked us to join them at a restaurant and the gentleman talked about several restaurants. They gave us the vicinity of where these places were located and I whipped the gps out and enthralled them by looking every one of them up and finding every one of them. Guys! A good tip when you are trying to find say a restaurant or store when the gps asks for the ending distance 20 miles is a good general number to put in. With the abundance of strip malls and shopping centers you are bound to find what you are looking for with that kind of search.
We found a home depot and a Crate and Barrel, plus a few other things.
Also something else I came across was when I keyed in Macy's I got 3 addresses quite far from where we were at a taco bell. But when I keyed in under shops, I got a Macy's Robinson May much closer to where we were.

I am curious to know if way in the future our gps won't offer the advice of which lanes to stay in when we key in vehicle routes. My Sister was astounded when I walked her to the mailboxes, passed it on purpose so the gps could tell me that they were slightly behind and to my left. All in all, we had quite a stress free weekend as a result of this fabulous tool. Mary Ellen Earls