[gps-talkusers] GPS replay of a Sea plane trip from Orcas to Seattle

  • From: "Michael May" <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:10:12 -0800

Our trip back from Orcas Island to Sacramento included a sea plane ride to
Seattle and then Southwest for the long leg home. Having never been in a sea
plane, I was curious to check it out. It felt like our mini van with wings
on it, probably narrower but a bit longer. I could touch the wings while
standing on the dock. There were 4 rows of seats including the pilot's row
and 2 people sat in each row.

The best part was no fuss. The plane pulled up to the end of the dock. They
tossed our bags in the hold. We climbed in, got a 30 second safety speech
and off we went.

The  attached replay file goes from dock to dock. Because of strong winds
higher up, we flew from 100 to 500 feet for most of the 76 mile flight. Both
the water and air were very smooth. When we reached the Seattle shoreline,
we went up to about 1600 feet. I assume this was so we didn't bother the
residence with the noise of the plane. We kept at a speed of 120 to 130
miles per hour. The points of interest gave me an idea of what towns were to
either side of us. Since we were only about 2 or 3 miles from the shoreline,
I could even hear what streets were nearby.

Check it out for yourself by copying the attached file to your memory card.
Then go to the GPS options menu and switch from the receiver to Replay. Then
load this file.

Mike

Michael May, CEO Sendero Group
Developers of accessible GPS and distributors of technology for the blind

Voice, 530-757-6800
MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.senderogroup.com
http://www.AccessibleGPS.com