[gps-talkusers] Re: Automatic street announcements

  • From: "Sheila Killian" <sheila-k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:23:29 -0800

A good option for this right now is Blind Square. It is very reliable, at least in a large metropolitan area, , for announcing streets automatically as you cross them both in a vehicle or walking. You can choose from six options what information is announced: all, which includes streets, places, and my places, or you can choose only streets, my places only, my places and streets, or only places, and finally, none. -----Original Message----- From: Baracco, Andrew W

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8   :46 AM
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: online maps

Remember that products like Navigon were derived from the stand alone
GPS systems used in cars, and were never designed for the needs of blind
persons. I have Navigon, but almost never use it because I am seldom in
a situation where I travel directly from one place to another. It is
totally useless with paratransit because you seldom go directly from
where you are picked up to where you are going. A product that
automatically announces intersections as you reach them is a must for
me.

Andy