[gpodder-devel] Using gpodder with photo feeds

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 01:17:55 +0100

Hello, Thibauld!

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 08:04:46PM +0000, Thibauld Nion wrote:
> I'd like to find a pratical way to handle photo feeds (like the ones
> from flickr and so on), and gpodder looks quite attractive (with all
> its features) as a good code "base" for this.

Sounds like a nice idea! If you can provide support for this feature and
prepare the necessary patches, I'd be happy to merge the patches into
the mainline repository.

> The modifications are indeed quite small: 1 added file, and 2 modified
> lines of codes in model.py. The new and modified files can be found
> there:
>
> http://tibonihoo.net/fichiers/gpodder/image_feeds_in_gpodder_2.1.tar.gz

Please open a new bug report at http://bugs.gpodder.org and attach your
changes a a set of patches against the master branch of our Git
repository (please make modular commits of your changes on top of the
master branch, and "git rebase" in case the master repo has new
changes). To submit your patches, use "git format-patch origin/master"
and attach the resulting patches to the bug report on bugs.gpodder.org.

This way, it's easier for us to try out and review your patch and
provide helpful feedback so you can fix the patch and make it ready for
inclusion into the mainline.

> I guess having "basic" support may not be enough though and having
> things like thumbnails appearing in the episode list or the ability to
> launch a slideshow for a (group of) channel(s) would make sense for
> image-related feeds.

Yes. Of course, the slideshow feature should probably provided by
another standalone application, but we could implement something like a
"player" configuration option that is called for image files (just like
the user can now decide between different apps for audio and video
files). Supplying multiple selected episodes (or images in the case of
photo feeds) as multiple command-line arguments is already supported.

> However before going any further in modifying my copy of gpodder, I
> wanted to know if the gpodder devs were open to including some support
> for image feeds or if it's incompatible with the project's aims for
> instance (I tried to search a little about this in the wiki and the
> mailing list but could not find anything).

As long as you invest your time in preparing the patches so that they
can be included and don't interfere with the core functionality, it's
okay. I think that most features (downloading, feed handling, cleanup)
area already in place, and there's just some minor tweaks to do to get
things going.

If you want to do this, please start by uploading your patches to
bugs.gpodder.org. It might take some time to get everything ready, so
please be prepared to devote some time to this task. Looking forward to
give you feedback on your first set of patches!