[goodfeel] Re: questions [FAQ]

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:17:25 -0400

Good morning, Kaiti,

Here are a few short FAQ entries for you:

Q.  How do I enter double sharps or double flats in Lime?

A.  There are two ways to show the double-sharp and double-flat notes.  I
recommend method 1.

Method 1: Changing spelling of existing notes

Type the letter n by itself to confirm that you are not in notation entry
mode.  If Lime Aloud reports that you are in Notation Entry Mode, Press
CONTROL+N to toggle notation entry off.

Move to the note you wish to change.  Check by pressing the 5 on the num pad
or press the letter z.

To write the note with a double-flat, hold down the SHIFT KEY and type the
DASH.  To write the current note with a single flat, just type the DASH key
without the SHIFT.

To write the note with a double-sharp, hold down the SHIFT KEY and type
EQUALS.  To write the note with a single sharp, just type the EQUALS key
without the SHIFT.

Note that Lime will not allow you to apply in certain cases.  For example,
if the note is B-Flat, typing double-sharp has no effect since A
double-sharp sounds like a B-Natural.  That is, to write the pitch B-Flat or
A-Sharp with more than 1 sharp, you would have to write it as G
triple-sharp.

Having a braille display attached allows you to see the new spelling
immediately.  Of course, Lime Aloud will give you a verbal description as
well.

Method 2: Entering double accidentals from Notation Entry mode

Press CONTROL+N to toggle notation entry on.  Type the letter n by itself to
confirm that you are in notation entry mode.

If you want to enter the pitch C as a D double-flat, type SHIFT+DASH and
then enter the C by typing the letter A key on the Home Row of the Qwerty
keyboard or by playing the note C on your electronic musical keyboard.

That is, your job is to enter the pitch you want to hear and allow Lime to
write it with the enharmonic spelling.

Having a braille display attached allows you to see the new spelling
immediately.  Of course, Lime Aloud will give you a verbal description as
well.  But, in order to hear it while in Notation Entry mode, you must press
num pad 4 to move back to the previous bar and beat and then type the letter
z to hear the description.

Q.  How do I force Lime to write a note with an accidental?

A.  Sometimes you want to show an accidental on a note that would usually
not be written with one.  For example, the piece has a Key Signature of 2
sharps but you want to show a natural sign on a particular fourth-octave A
(second space A in the Treble Clef).

As far as I can tell, one must not be in Notation Entry Mode in order to
show the accidental using the steps below.

Move to the note you want to mark.

Press ALT+N to open the Note menu.

Arrow down to "Show Accidental" or type the letter S.

Lime should return you to the main music window and read the new description
for the current note.

Q.  How do I add a note to an existing note or chord?

A.  Move to the bar and beat where you want to add the note or notes.

Press CONTROL+N to toggle notation entry on.  Type the letter n by itself to
confirm that you are in notation entry mode.

Type the 8 on the Numbers Row.  That is, the 8 above the letter i.

Type or play in the note or notes you want to add to the existing note or
notes at that bar and beat location.

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com
Tel: [001] 610-783-6692