[goodfeel] Re: PowerBraille on Windows 7

  • From: "David Goldstein - Resource Center" <info2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:16:15 -0400

I think there are several questions, and they are all on the condition that
you can indeed find a true parallel port.  Kevin, you are right in assuming
that most, if not all, USB to parallel port adapters are not true Centronics
ports, but are designed to get a parallel printer working.  The ones I have
will not work with a PowerBraille.  The way they drive a printer is through
the Windows printer settings.  You cannot just send things to LPT1.  You
have to set it as a Windows printer, with the port called something like USB
printer port.  I couldn't find anything when I got one of the Dancing Dots
workstations for home.
There may still be parallel cards on the market, but you would have to make
sure Windows 7 would support them, and then, as Bill says, check with
Freedom Scientific about whether the later versions of JAWS will support a
parallel connection of the PowerBraille in Windows 7.  The PowerBraille is
still listed as a choice for braille displays, and I'm running one
successfully with JAWS 13 on an older computer at work running Windows XP.
You will have to be really specific in asking FS whether they actually know
whether The PowerBraille will work under Windows 7 and how they got it
working to test it.

David