[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:11:01 +0000

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 11:11:53PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> My own take is that this is getting complex, for very little gain.
> However, the complexity won't impact plugins who don't need this.

a.k.a myth #1 :) I simply dont believe this, and it doesnt gel with my
experience of other APIs. Complexity leaks. It makes host implementations
more complex = more buggy and less standard and it makes the specification
much larger and more daunting.

The effects on the 99% of plugins that dont need this will be secondary,
but it will be there.

> It does impact hosts, but only hosts that want to support this.

Unless its mandatory it will cause user confusion.

Its such an incredibly small corner case, it only helps plugin where you
dont use the custom UI, and they have string parameters that aren't exposed
as strings, and they dont use paramter bridges.