[gmpi] Re: Requirements evaluation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:42:40 -0800

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:13:17PM -0700, eric wrote:
> OMS native plugins.  Please have a look.  I've raised a few points which
> may or may not have been discussed on the list, but I think they are
> important (at least to me), and should be given some consideration.

I'm reading it now.

Re: your assertion that any DSP (including video) should be allowed

GMPI V2.  Or 3 or 4.  We can't be everything to everyone.  Our mandate is to
do a Music/Audio plugin format.  Certainly it would be nice to encompass
video.  Later.  Maybe.

Re: Networking

Distributed rendering does not always or necessarily make sense.  It is very
dependant on the graph structure.  To date, we have assumed that anything
outside the local graph is outside GMPI.  What exactly are your proposed
requirements in this area?

Re: thin layers of architecture

Explain more what you want to see?

Re: NSPR

Thanks!  Bookmarked.

Re: notifying CPU hungry plugins

What is the mechanism you want to see, and what do you expect a plugin to do
about it?

Re: Time

Can you explain more?  I'm not clear..

Re: Parameters

I agree more or less about using generic parameters for many things.  I
don't know that making it totally extensible is worth the effort.  Over
categorization is bad.  A plugin that provides the well-known parameters for
a particular interface (say the instrument interface) can be said to
implement that interface.  I think that is what you mean by thin layers.

However, I don't think I want to see a plugin saying "I am an instrument".
The fact that a plugin implements the instrument API should be sufficient.

That said, if an API is sufficiently complex, maybe it is easier to provide
a list of interfaces the plugin implements?  Anyone have comments?

Re: save/restore state

Can you provide concrete examples of what you need to save besides
parameters?

re: fully extensible parameter types

We have to balance simplicity vs extensibility.  Convince me this level of
complexity is needed.

Thanks for the doc!  I've taken a number of notes from it, and if we can
answer these questions, I'll have more.