[ggo-discussion] Re: The 'database' tab in the stats dialog.

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:57:32 +0100

On 21.03.2004, at 06:21, blunt jackson wrote:

> Question:
>
> On the 'database' tab of the 'stats' dialog box, there appears
> to be a large text field for recording information about a
> player, as well as five mysterious checkboxes. Neither the
> text box nor the mysterious check boxes appear to save state.
> When I record something in the 'database' and come back to
> it, it is empty.
>
> Is this an unfinished feature, or am I doing something wrong?

This is an undocumented feature, I would say. The whole thing is meant
to let gGo use the glGo playermanager (part of glGo installation), so
you can use the same database in gGo and glGo. Another advantage is, if
you only use gGo, that this feature offers some more functionality than
the old built-in gGo friends/bozo list like the comments, custom
flagging, game history, display of rank graph over the saved games.

To enable the feature, check the "Use glGo Playermanager" box in the
Advanced tab of the preferences dialog. It should be disabled by
default (is it? I need to verify that.) Also you need to install glGo
to get the playermanager program. I used to have a standalone installer
with only the playermanager, but noone downloaded it so I removed it
again.

Some info about the playermanager is here:
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/glGo/manual/ch09.html
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/glGo/Readme-Playermanager.txt
Both are included in the glGo installation.

You can customize some flags in the playermanager, like "Escaper",
"Cool dude", "Don't play!" or whatever, and then assign these flags in
the gGo/glGo playerinfo dialog to a player. All the extension stuff is
in the third tab of that dialog in gGo. If you changed something, you
need to click "Apply", if you just close the dialog it won't be saved
(that should be improved, not good). You cannot define the custom flags
from within gGo, so if you do not have the playermanager installed, the
whole feature is a bit pointless.  Because of that, the player database
usage *should* be disabled by default and the old gGo built-in list
used. Then the third tab with the extension features won't show up in
the gGo playerdialog anymore. I hope it works that way and the feature
is really off by default, but not 100% sure now. Will check.

Basically the feature is fully working and functional, there might be
bugs left I did not find so far, of course. Any pointers are welcome.
It is quite new and I guess not many people use it, so I get no
feedback. I really need to add some documentation about this to the gGo
distribution, otherwise it is hardly understandable how it works.

Final remark, it does not work on Windows 9x/ME. Why not? Because the
Java call "getHomeDirectory" returns nothing on these systems (ask
Microsoft, not me), so gGo is unable to find the database file which is
stored in the user homedir, something what does not exist on Win 9x/ME.
The playermanager will find the file on Win9x/ME using a lookup in the
registry where the install path is saved, but gGo won't. I guess it
should be possible to read registry entries from Java, but I didn't
figure out how yet. This problem does not exist on Linux and Windows
NT/2000/XP which support a user home directory.

Cheers,

  Peter