[ggcsquicksig] Fw: Magnets and flash drives

  • From: "Babette" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SIGLIST" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:33:05 -0700

Although I could not find anything with a web search re whether or not
magnets could harm flash drives, I did get this reply to the question
from SanDisk:

ello Babbete,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support, and for your recent
inquiry into our product line.

Yes, magnets and other EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) devices can
affect the functionality of a flash drive. It will not basically harm
the flash drive when it touches it or kept beside a magnet for a short
period of time, but if it happens constantly and if it is kept beside
or on a magnetic device for a long periof of time, it may damage the
flash drive.

Should you have any further inquiries or concerns, please do not
hesitate to reply to this message or send another inquiry via Email.

Best regards,
SanDisk Technical Support