[ggc-urantialist] Re: Golden Gate Circle (SF Bay Area) Weekend Bulletin 4/7/13

  • From: Bohohwymus@xxxxxxx
  • To: ggc-urantialist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

GOLDEN GATE  CIRCLE
WEEKEND BULLETIN:
April 7,  2013

Golden Gate Park Happy 143rd Birthday

Reminders  of Upcoming Local and U.S. Events
Golden Gate Circle  Community Planning Meeting, Saturday, April 13, Time
4:00  pm:
At Dennis Baker’s  house: 500 Poplar Ave. #304, Millbrae, CA 94030
(right across from  San Francisco airport)
For more info:  contact Dennis Baker, C.P.M., 415-309-0362 Cell
_dennisbaker2@comcast.net_ (mailto:dennisbaker2@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Claudia Ayers, GGC President,  writes, “I'll get an agenda going shortly...
but mainly: officer elections...  for which I want to run for Croatian
Translation Coordinator... and get that,  specific, job done.”
There will be an election of a new  Society President!
YaYA Regeneration  Conference
A Youth and Young Adult Conference, Gloucester, MA. Thurs, Apr 18-Sun, Apr
21, 2013
Register from: http://urantianow.com/yaya-regeneration-conference/
Summer Study Session, Northbrook, Il, July 10 -  14
Summer Study  Sessions, sponsored by the Fellowship Education Committee,
Techny Towers in  Northbrook, Illinois, just north of Chicago, on July 10 –
14. Click here to  register: http://www.regonline.com/Fellowship_SSS_13
The Education  Committee is looking for workshop leaders. Please ask
members of your group to  consider submitting a proposal for such a
presentation
on this year’s theme of  “Our Gift to God the Father: Service to the Supreme.
” The theme focuses our  partnership with God the Father, a relationship
that is made possible because of  the fragment of God within, furthered
realized through service, and facilitated  under the auspices of the emerging
Supreme Being. Proposals for workshops should  be emailed to Nick Stefero:
_nstefero@cox.net_ (mip://00d01678/nstefero@xxxxxxx) .
Sincerely, David  Kulieke, Chair, Education Committee of the Urantia Book
Fellowship
Jim  Wallis Returns to the Bay Area, Thurs. May 2, 7:30  PM
ON GOD’S SIDE: What Religion Forgets  and Politics Hasn't Learned About
Serving the Common  Good
Can  the common good be reclaimed? Jim Wallis thinks so. What better time
to  undertake this urgent task than after the presidential election dust
settles?  “The common good is about  so much more than partisan politics,”
Wallis writes. “It grows out of our  personal and family lives, our vocational
callings, the mission and witness of  our congregations, the moral power of
social movements, and the independent  integrity of prophetic religious
leadership in our public life.”

Wallis looks at the best big ideas  from both conservative and liberal
thought: personal responsibility and social  responsibility, respectively, both
of which are essential to common good.   “Don’t go right, don’t go left, go
deeper,” Wallis says in “Inspiring the Common  Good.”
Jim Wallis is  president and CEO of Sojourners and editor in chief of
Sojourners magazine. He  teaches at Georgetown University.

First Congregational Church of Berkeley  (2345 Channing Way at Dana; enter
via courtyard on Dana), Tickets $12 ($7  students) in advance only, Brown
Paper Tickets online or 800-838-3006; $15 at  the door
UB Resource Updated  …
The classic "Selected Excerpts" brochure has been  reformatted by Paula and
published on the web for downloading and  printing.  It is at
http://ubfellowship.org/outreach/ubexcerpts-v2.pdf

Print and distribute a lot of them! (Courtesy of  David Kantor)

St. Francis  (Giotto)

Crisis at The Council for a Parliament of the World’s  Religions (CPWR)
The council notified its followers that it is faced  with a single
financial challenge that will determine whether they can continue  to exist.
They
need to raise $150,000 by April 15 in order to carry on the work  of convening
people for peace, justice and interfaith  understanding.
Why are we in this position? Just months before the  Barcelona Parliament
in 2004, 191 people were killed and nearly 2000 injured in  Madrid train
station bombings. The attendance of the 2004 Parliament suffered,  and CPWR was
faced with a last minute need for a substantial loan to produce the  event.
A life-changing Barcelona Parliament carried on, bringing people together
to overcome fear through interfaith action.
For many years, details of the loan were contested until  a Spanish court
judgment of $276,600 slowly came to the US Courts.  On  March 21, the US
Court upheld the judgment against the Parliament. They were  initially advised
that they had at least three months, but court papers served  last week gave
them only until April 15, 2013.
In anticipation of a judgment, and to preserve and  protect the rich
history of the Parliament, CPWR had already raised $126,000.  They are seeking
further donations if you can help, so they can continue to  convene the next
Parliament event in Latin America, encourage local interfaith  events, and
celebrate their 120-year history. For more information, visit them  at:
_www.parliamentofreligions.causevox.com_
(http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=6f055b9ed9&e=8fffa
39140)  - or - _www.parliamentofreligions.org_
(http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=3dbd2dd5cf&e
=8fffa39140)
CPWR  is a 501c.3 non-for-profit organization

“If  you were to ask me why I dwell among green mountains,
I  should laugh silently; my soul is serene.
The  peach blossom follows the moving water;
There  is another heaven and earth beyond the world of men.”
—
Li  Po, “Conversation in the Mountains”, as translated in Robert  Payne’s
The  White Pony: An Anthology of Chinese  Poetry

Thanks for tuning  in and reading our News and please stay tuned!  Dave
Holt,  Communications Chair for GGC

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image