[geocentrism] The figurative thing... (Take 2)

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:10:04 -0600

> [Philip wrote]
>
> I do not think this passage is for or against GC. Think real hard. . In
the helio centric >system, (a scientific possibility, and a good logical
assumption) when God talked to His >people, back then, what would they have
thought if He had written in Joshua, "The Earth >stopped" ...?

Philip, are we talking about the same God who directed the Children of
Israel to march around the walls of Jericho and sound their trumpets
occasionally?  What must they have thought about that instruction?  I don't
think there'd have been any problem with telling the truth, if that be what
a-centricism is.  The ancients and ourselves should have been rather
thankful for it, I would think.

> Even had that been true, and God never lies, it would have been
meaningless to the people, > so He would have spoken according to
convention,

Philip, would he now?  Is that a rule of God's, to speak "according to
convention"?   Although God has been said to speak in tongues, if He only
speaks in an understandable way to the people, he's sure left us out of the
loop with some of Revelations, for a small example.

> The science is not important here. That He suspended nature is!

Philip, I repeat Bouw's phrase again.  It says it all.   "To say that God
  didn't bother to tell us the plain truth makes God a clumsy grammarian."

Logically, if you are going to claim "figurativeness" or "phenomenological
language" for Joshua 10:12-13, you must admit you will run into the snare of
which verses to apply that interpretation to, while others are accorded
"literal" treatment.  Although you are correct that many verses are
problematic if taken literally, I think it is incumbent upon Christians to
face up and figure them out or just admit we do not know.  I believe that
your use of "figurative" glasses to see the solution to difficult Biblical
passages sweeps this honest problem too conveniently under a rug.

> My message...  Do not let your salvation rest upon HC GC or any other C.
The >supernatural life is outside of science. Its internal between you and
God. Even Mikes self >alledged atheism, is judged by Him on High, not us.
Neville would be the first to >acknowledge that.

> Philip.

Philip, Isaiah 1:18 says "Come, let us reason together."   Although I do
feel that the "supernatural life", as you call it, is outside, nay, beyond
and higher than science, I don't mean for that to persuade Christians to be
uninvolved in scientific issues, as if this world here and now doesn't
matter.  Because if it doesn't matter, then any Christian would behoove
himself by visiting Jack Kervorkian straight away, or finding the nearest
building to jump off of.  A better place awaits so why not get there
quicker!

And yes, God did tell us not to judge, lest we be judged.  I do think that
Mike and all the other atheistic BA-er's are making some good points and we
need to overcome those things or give it up as far as geocentrism goes.  I
am not smart enough to address some of those things....I'd like to see it
happen, though.  I will concede once more that Biblical credence hangs in
the balance.

What I would like to tell Mike is that, irregardless of geocentrism, a lack
of belief in God is illogical based simply upon the overwhelming evidences
of creationism, though as I recall you will have some unique objection to
that assertion.

Gary Shelton