[geocentrism] Re: De Palma

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:16:05 +1000

Thanks Martin
Well I only recall his name from proposing the ionosphere, and the heavyside
layer.. This was a surprise..  May I go on to be more critical..

Oliver Heaviside (May 18, 1850 - February 3, 1925) was a self-taught English
electrical engineer, mathematician, and physicist who adapted complex numbers
to the study of electrical circuits, developed techniques for applying Laplace
transforms to the solution of differential equations, reformulated Maxwell's
field equations in terms of electric and magnetic forces and energy flux, and
independently co-formulated vector analysis. Although at odds with the
scientific establishment for most of his life, Heaviside changed the face of
mathematics and science for years to come.

surprisingly I never heard him getting the credit for this in my texts. Oliver
Heaviside coined the following terms:

  a.. "electret" for the electric analogue of a permanent magnet, or, in other
words, any substance that exhibits a quasi-permanent electric polarization
(e.g. ferroelectric).
  b.. In September of 1885, "conductance" and "permeability".
  c.. In February of 1886, "inductance".
  d.. In July of 1886, "impedance".
  e.. In December of 1887, "admittance".
  f.. In May of 1888, "reluctance".
  g.. In June of 1887, Heaviside used the term "permittance" which later became
susceptance.
So I guess I'll just forgive him for being associated with Laplace transforms
Do they do anything useful? Seems like a jargonistic secret society to isolate
physics from the engineer...such as below explains,

 mathematics, the Laplace transform is a technique for analyzing linear
time-invariant systems such as electrical circuits, harmonic oscillators,
optical devices, and mechanical systems. Given a simple mathematical or
functional description of an input or output to a system, the Laplace transform
provides an alternative functional description that often simplifies the
process of analyzing the behavior of the system, or in synthesizing a new
system based on a set of specifications.
The Laplace transform is an important concept from the branch of mathematics
called functional analysis.

So there we have it,  however it is still unnecessary, as the following
explains,
In actual physical systems the Laplace transform is often interpreted as a
transformation from the time-domain point of view, in which inputs and outputs
are understood as functions of time, to the frequency-domain point of view,
where the same inputs and outputs are seen as functions of complex angular
frequency, or radians per unit time.

But This transformation not only provides a fundamentally different way to
understand the behavior of the system, but it also drastically reduces the
complexity of the mathematical calculations required to analyze the system.

I've been doing that quite naturally all my life, why does it have to be given
a secret name like laplace transform???  Z transform Mellin transform and so on
..

and so a really simple process of calculating the impedance of a capacitor from
a given formular of the known physical parameters becomes secreted within
mystical symbolism of the high priest: as:

The constitutive relation governing the dynamic behavior of a capacitor is the
following differential equation:

where C is the capacitance (in farads) of the capacitor, i = i(t) is the
electrical current (in amperes) flowing through the capacitor as a function of
time, and v = v(t) is the voltage (in volts) across the terminals of the
capacitor, also as a function of time.

Taking the Laplace transform of this equation, we obtain

where

  ,
  , and

Solving for V(s) we have

The definition of the complex impedance Z (in ohms) is the ratio of the complex
voltage V divided by the complex current I while holding the initial state Vo
at zero:

Using this definition and the previous equation, we find:

which is the correct expression for the complex impedance of a capacitor.

Like I said shades of guilds and secret societies..  Notice the regular use of
"complex... "   Yikes..  !!!

Hide the physical truths in mystical mathmatical mumbo jumbo so the common
people will think we is Gods.. Perhaps that is why Heavyside was hated by his
peers..  Coming from  a common electrician, he had no desire to be one of their
High Priests.

Heaviside developed the operational calculus (involving the D notation for the
differential operator, which he is credited with creating), a method of solving
differential equations by transforming them into ordinary algebraic equations
which caused a great deal of controversy when first introduced, owing to the
lack of rigour in his derivation of it. He famously said, "Mathematics is an
experimental science, and definitions do not come first, but later on." He was
replying to criticism over the use of operators that weren't clearly defined.
On another occasion he stated somewhat more defensively, "I do not refuse my
dinner simply because I do not understand the process of digestion."

Philip. (In the morning too.)