[GeoStL] Re: retired missile silo

  • From: Max Slover <k0azv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:24:48 -0800 (PST)

-

--- Glenn <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -
> I am looking for a retired missile silo.  Anyone
> know of any around here?

Glenn, this is what I found at least on Minuteman
Missle Silo's

http://www.geocities.com/minuteman_missile/coordinates.htm

http://tinyurl.com/sypld

I also found this on the Missouri'd Department of
Natural Resources site

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/env/hwp/ws-special/ffs-dod.htm

Nike Hercules SL 60, Pacific
The Government acquired 162.56 acres of land for the
U. S. Army Air Defense Command between June 1959 and
April 1965.  This property, located in Pacific,
Missouri, was purchased to create a missile site for
the defense against high flying enemy aircraft.   The
Meramec Valley R-III School District  took over 85.15
acres on Jan. 21, 1970.  Another 14.07 acres was
purchased by a private individual and 63.34 acres are
under the control of the General Services
Administration.  Possible contaminants include
asbestos, petroleum and solvents.

Max...

Public Information Officer -- St. Louis & Suburban Radio Club
K0AZV - Amateur
WPWH-650 GMRS
St. Louis County ARES
St. Ann MO EM48tr