[GeoStL] Re: interesting. Nation parks service

  • From: Mike Tollefson <mbtoll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 12:28:25 -0700 (PDT)

About time?  The policy was written in a fairly negative manner toward
geocaching.  It actually suggests that Letterboxing may be more appropriate
where geocaching is not!

From the Geocaching section:
Geocaching is viewed as a type of “treasure hunt” where participants search for
hidden
caches using hand held GPS devices. The notion of a “treasure hunt” immediately
sets off an
alarm for NPS managers because it implies that the “hunters” will be placing
caches in
unapproved areas, digging up park resources and damaging the park environment.
Obviously,
much as we want park visitors to enjoy their experience, we cannot allow a GPS
activity if it
would lead to destructive behavior. Burying caches would generally violate 36
CFR 2.1(a), and
could violate other regulations, as well.

From the Letterboxing section:
Although letterboxing is intended to be environmentally friendly, if the “box”
is buried or concealed by manipulated
vegetation or rocks, or will cause participants to create social trails or
traverse sensitive or
dangerous locations, the impacts will likely be unacceptable. However, it is
entirely possible
that some parks, particularly those with a vast expanse of backcountry, will
have locations where
a letterbox could be concealed and sought out without causing unacceptable
impacts.

Note the last part is mention under letterboxing and not geocaching - like to
two are that much different!

They also cite the following regulations:
-prohibits digging, destroying, or injuring park resources. This would apply to
digging holes to
bury caches, manipulating vegetation to conceal caches, creation of
unauthorized trails, and other
damaging behavior incidental to GPS activities.
• 36 CFR 2.22 prohibits abandoning property, which includes leaving property
unattended for
longer than 24 hours. This regulation also authorizes superintendents to
designate locations
where, or conditions under which, longer time periods may apply.
• 36 CFR 2.31 prohibits trespassing, tampering and vandalism, which might occur
as
participants search for caches.

It doesn't look like they have really changed their minds but may have opened
the door for a few open minded superientents to allow some caches.

Mike