[GeoStL] Re: cable adapter

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:28:13 -0600

-
Greg,

Yeah, isn't progress great?

I bought a Toshiba laptop about 10 months ago and it has 3 USB's but no
serial or floppy. I ended up with a Belkin FSU409 USB/serial adaptor from
Compusa for $39 (I think).

Not sure what GPS you are using, but make sure you can return the adaptor if
it doesn't work. Reading the newsgroups seems like some work fine and others
won't.

I have the Garmin Legend and the adaptor works fine for transferring
waypoints, routes, etc (both ways) and also feeding the laptop for
navigation using Mapsource. The problem I had was with downloading the
mapsource maps into the GPS. It would almost always hang after a minute or
so. I played with the settings in mapsource and it seems that lowering the
baud rate from 115K to 57K solved everything. Maps, WP, etc transfer fine.
And there really isn't a hit on time to transfer the maps since the GPS
serial port is only 9600, I think. I guess the adaptor chokes on data coming
in at 115K when it can only send it out at 9600. Works fine at 57K though so
I guess the buffer can handle that data speed.

Rich