[GeoStL] Re: Users of the Yellow Etrex

  • From: Sara Carter <beancounter2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 17:16:21 -0800 (PST)

thats what I thought, i just thought I remember it zooming in closer.  And I
did play with the compass methos you were talking about.  After finding cache A
and B today I took it back down to A-1 by myself and left my friend and Diana
(the class disturber) snacking at teh picnic table.  I'm happy with my Etrex
Vista for caching right now (I have my eye on the new 60CS but think it's gonna
have to wait since right now I don't feel I cache enough to merit spending the
$$ when my Vista serves me well).  My friend was thinking of buying the yellow
etrex from me but decided not to when we realized it's not that good to look at
the map screen and find the waypoint.  He didn't seem interested in using the
compass method described and tested today.

I can't see needing 2 GPS's for myself.  So I guess if anyone is interested or
knows someone who is, I have a yellow etrex for sale (slighty used in great
shape and have the book for it).  Please do not show interest in such on the
public email list, I can be contacted directly at beancounter2b at
sbcglobal.net.

Sara

GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sara,

I think there's some confusion between the zoom factor and accuracy. The Yellow
etrex will only zoom in to 200 feet while the Legend and Vista will zoom to 20
feet. The difference is because of the screen resolution between the 2 screens.
Think of the old CGA monitors that ran at 320x240 and the newer ones that
support 1024x768 and higher. When you zoom in with a 320x240, it becomes blocky
and unreadable. The 11 feet he's talking about is the accuracy based on the
satellites, which is normally 18-25 feet. Both units will give the same
accuracy.

If you use the pointer in the compass mode to hunt for the caches, the zoom
factor won't make any difference.

Rich (RGS)