[GeoStL] Re: Tick Removal

  • From: "Ryan Welker" <ryan.welker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:51:09 -0500

In July my national guard unit is sending me to a preventative medicine
school in Texas. About a month ago I finished an online class on ticks and
mosquitoes from the CDC. I found this article on snopes.
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp
Stuff from the CDC.
You don't want to use heat, acid or base products, and petroleum products to
remove ticks that have attached themselves to the skin.
-Heat and acid/base products will make the tick regurgitate everything back
into the person/animal and releasing any disease that they are carrying into
the person as well.
-Using petroleum products to "smother" the ticks is useless, the idea is
that petroleum jelly cuts off the oxygen to the tick causing the tick to
back out or die. Ticks breath through their mouths and when they are sucking
on blood, they are getting their oxygen supply through the blood and not the
outside air.

-ryan

On 5/11/07, tnsl <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-
This was obviously not written by someone who has a kyd who has actually
discovered a tick on herself. 15 - 20 seconds?  You've got to be kidding.
Might as well be 15-20 minutes.

Fifteen to twenty seconds in the life of a kyd with a tick can be
harrowing
for all involved.  I might prefer to be the insect that loses its head
than
have to endure those 15 -20 seconds.

Nancy