[GeoStL] Things are looking good.

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GC-maillist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:19:15 -0600

I just got a call from Marty who is in charge of the St. Louis County Parks
public programs. He would like to have a program setup for the public on
geocaching. This would be strictly geocaching since they already have a GPS
usage program setup with Alpine shop.

It is tentivly setup for early April and will be at Greensfelder Park. They
have a nature/training center there and will provide a laptop and
projector/screen. We will need to provide a Powerpoint presentation on CD since
they do not like to hook up outside computers to the County's equipment. The
County usually charges $3-5 per person and they will split that 50-50 with us.

I think there are currently 5 caches (single and multi) in the park that we can
use and may want to think about something special for the event. Maybe hide a
micro and a virtual to give them a chance for each type.

I have to fax him (his email is down) a 1 paragraph description of the program
by Friday. So if anyone has any ideas of what we should cover, send them to me.

Some of my ideas in random order:
1. PowerPoint GPS screen shots
2. Types of caches
3. History of geocaching
4. Cache in/Trash out
5. Zeroing in on the cache
6. Topo maps and trail maps
7. Using tracks
8. Geocaching.com & SLAGA & geostl.com
9. Overlayed tracks on ExpertGPS Sat. and topo maps of park with current caches.
10 Types of containers and how they are hidden
11. ???

This could really be a big feather in our hats and make a GOOD name for
ourselves. We need to do this right.

Rich