[GeoStL] Stuff to keep in mind...

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:38:01 -0600

-
I got this from my buddy on the east coast. these are indeed the things they look for in getting a cache approved and the tips are handy. reposted with permission from Davros. (also a SLAGA member)
Tips and Tricks to speedy Cache Approval
Date: Friday, March 07 @ 08:04:05 EST
Topic: Geocaching General

Please consider using these tips to speed up your cache approval. The more information you can provide will help the geocaching.com approvers post your cache quicker. This applies for ALL caches in Maryland as well as everywhere else. Taking a little bit of time now can save both the admins and you allot of time later and get your cache online faster!

1. Be specific!
Describe your cache with as much detail as possible. A poorly described cache may result in it's archival or delay in it's approval. An example of a poorly described cache "Nice park, enjoy the hunt. Good Luck". Describe the container, the original contents, and what you find compelling about the area, or an interesting story about the area or brief history lesson, something to make the cache compelling. Any caches placed on questionable property (i.e. private property with permission) please state that in your cache description. If there are any park fees, or recommended parking coordinates you may also want to include them as well. Temporary caches other than event caches will NOT be approved! Caches must be placed with the assumption that they are available for all to find.

2. Double check your coordinates!
You may also want to check the online map links from geocaching.com after you submit your cache. Just to be certain where the cache shows up on the maps. Many approvers use these as a primary reference to approve caches. If the online maps bring up any questions you can provide an explanation in advance. Also check nearby caches. As a general rule caches less than 0.1 miles(approximately 500 feet) from an existing active cache will not be approved. When placing multiple caches in an area keep this in mind. If you placed several caches, and one is too close to the other chances are one will not be approved. If the cache nearby is no longer there, or has not been found for quite some time we may find a way to resolve it by contacting the owner, or archiving the old cache if the owner does not reply.

3. ALL caches MUST have a logbook!
Or some sort of verification as proof of the find. If the cache requires a keyword or key item description you must state in your cache listing that the finder must verify the content by email. If a pen or pencil is required make note of that in the description. A cache without any form of verification will not be approved.

4. Caches on or near railroads will NOT be approved!
The general rule is 150 feet of either side of the tracks for the railroad right of way. Technically speaking, if you cross that 150 foot boundary you are trespassing! If your cache is placed on an old railroad bed (i.e. the B&A Trail, WB&A Trail) please note that in your cache posting. Many online maps used for reference by approvers still show the railroad on them. With your added effort to explain this you can eliminate any delay while questions are asked. Any caches within 150 ft. of a railway will NOT be approved. In the light of today's high security alert we recommend not placing a cache anywhere in sight of an active railroad. Use your own judgment common sense applies here. In the event of a cache being placed in a park near an active railroad, where the cache is isolated from the railroad by a fence, wall, or other means please specify. Any cache that recommends walking over or on the railroad will NOT be approved. Once again, physical or 'Traditional' caches are forbidden on NPS Properties or properties managed by the Fish and Wildlife Refuge.

5. DO NOT Dominate an area!
Cache density seems to be a huge problem lately. We don't mind people hiding caches in fact we love it, we're cachers too and love to find them as well as you. But please don't hide too many cache in one area nobody owns 'cache turf' . Try spreading out a little, explore new territory. If an admin checks for nearby caches and sees that 20 of the 25 caches every 1/2 mile (or less) on each page of the nearby listings are your caches chances are you'll cause some concern. Play fair we've got lot's of parks and open space available for exploration. Don't over crowd or 'cache bomb' an area which may also cause concern from the property management. In some cases cachers have been asked by property management officials not to hide anymore caches because of hiding too many in one place. As well as earning several complaints from your peers. "Quality not Quantity" is an issue here.. It's always best to be remembered by fellow cachers for hiding good caches in interesting locations. Not tons of caches in questionable places. It's the quality of your last cache that lures someone to find another one of yours.

6. When posting an event cache be sure to post date the hidden date field.
Set the date for the date of the event not today's date. Doing this will keep your event fresh on the list until the date has passed. If you leave the date as today's date the event will be considered passed and quickly be forgotten. In the event of prolonged planning, i.e. an event planned several months in advance you may want to set the date for the next month, then next month change the date again to the next month, doing so will also keep the event fresh on the list each month until the official date has passed.

7. Providing as much info about your cache to the admins can speed up the approval.
You can do this in two ways. You can leave comments to the admins on your cache description with a note to delete when approved. (i.e. NOTE TO ADMIN: < Your Text Goes Here> PLEASE Delete before approval.) Or you can post the cache and make a note (not a find) on your cache to admins with a request to delete on approval. If an admin sees this they will delete it for you before they post it and chances are they may thank you for taking the extra step. You may use this method for any special instructions that you have for the admins.

8. Cache Titles and admin notes.
Many approvers use the cache title as a status reminder to other admins. You may or may not have noticed an admin putting a HOLD on your cache title while he or she researches or discusses the issue. DO NOT remove the HOLD from the title if this should happen. It is disrespectful to the admin working with you and confusing to others. Admins also may leave notes on your cache pages. Or in some cases archive your cache while it is under discussion and un-archive it once a resolution is met. Deleting these notes is also disrespectful and may create friction and confusion.

One thing to keep in mind about the approvers on Geocaching.com. We're not employee's per se' we're cachers just like you who volunteer our time to help other cachers. We try to stick to our regions but on occasion help each other out when the list gets full or when one goes on vacation. We also work together as a team to meet a level of conformity Every little bit you can do to help us and to cooperate with us is greatly appreciated. Once you've developed a trusted working relationship with an admin chances are your caches may get approved faster, as he or she develops a trust in your hiding habits thus requiring less research to approve your cache.

Hopefully these suggestions are helpful to you and as an approver, I certainly appreciate anyone who makes an effort to make the job easier.

Questions or comments are always welcome.

Randall