[GeoStL] Re: State Parks

  • From: "Richard Sheffold" <GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:22:35 -0600

And Arkansas:

http://www.arkansas.com/geocache

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/geocaching/

From: Glenn
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:07 PM
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: State Parks

Absolutely agree. In Missouri they cut back so much they no longer have person
that even looks at Geocaching anymore.

Glenn

Via iP-4

On Dec 29, 2011, at 4:54 PM, "Mike Griffin" <brawnybear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  It is very sad when you compare our state parks to those in other states that
have embraced geocaching. We have some great state parks but I think they are
missing out on the Eco-Tourism business because they do a bad job of promoting.
I remember when they had the different challenges. My all-time favorite was the
passport series where you could earn prizes by exploring the different parks.

  Now it seems, they have let another great opportunity slip by…

  Check out this link to Texas State Parks…

  http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/activities/outdoor_recreation/geocache/

  After you have marveled at their embrace of Geocaching, take a look at the
activities page for Mo State Parks..

  http://mostateparks.com/activities

  It really saddens me that we have spent so much time promoting it to the
State Parks, working with them on many different levels, individually, groups,
etc.. and we still don’t get a mention for Geocaching. We had MOGA there one
year and then they totally missed the boat as it expanded into a money maker
for the region. Everywhere we have taken MOGA, we have generated an incredible
revenue stream for local businesses and public lands. Camping for MOGA events
has offered a generous amount of revenue for the Corps and State Parks. We
managed to squeeze one in at Twain State Park, but it had to be sponsored by
ACOE.

  I really don’t understand the mindset behind it. No growth is no growth. What
do you have to do to bring in revenue? This should be the question Missouri
State Parks should be asking itself? What would attract thousands of people
each year, especially in the off-season, where they would stay multiple days in
the park at campgrounds, resorts and cabins?

  It has been proven time and time again, have a dense population of caches and
it will bring the cachers. Have more than they can do in one day, they will
stay overnight and spend money. The ACOE at Mark Twain Lake saw an increase in
the amount of traffic after our first MOGA. Indian Creek averaged about 175000
tire rolls per year over a 10 year period. After MOGA, that number increased to
over 250000. Densely populated caching areas, in this case .25 miles apart on
average, bring in the cachers and their families!

  In summary my good friends in the caching community, I think it is time we
enlighten our stewards in Jeff City and let them know we want to see Geocaching
programs similar to the ones in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and several other
states who have set up a great Geocaching activity for families and serious
outdoor enthusiasts. We are missing a great opportunity to highlight some of
the best parks in the country.

  Sorry for the rant.. I feel better now…

  Brawny Bear

  Mike