[GeoStL] Semi OT: Southside Division CFM Tea Lakes

  • From: "tnsl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:25:32 -0600

www.tlakesarea.org

I just wanted to pass this info along to everyone.

This piece of land is owned and managed by the nonprofit organization of the
Southside Division of the Conservation Federation of Missouri.
http://www.confedmo.org/

It's a 200 acre tract of land about 70 miles southwest of South County outside
of Rosebud, MO.  It is "private" in the sense that you must be a member (annual
family membership is $38.00/year) to use the property. (I believe you can visit
once without a membership) There are a couple of lakes with rental jon boats
available or bring your own,  and about 20 "unimproved" camping spots as well
as a shower house and potties. There's a group area (also unimproved) and a
couple of large pavilions. It's a very nice  well-maintained, piece of
property. By unimproved they mean no electric or water at the sites. But, that
is not a reflection on the camping area. It's rather shady with lots of common
ground and room to "play".  I have a ton of great camping memories from the
weekends we spent there with extended family and friends  when I was a kid (30+
years ago).  "Unimproved" NEVER got in our way lol.

The managing group, The Southside Division of the Conservation Federation of
Missouri,  is based here in St. Louis and  have monthly meetings in south St.
Louis, (An American Legion Hall on South Broadway I think), elect officials,
send out snail mail newsletters  (which is what prompted my email today)etc.
They are also "politically" active yet I don't know enough to speak
knowledgeably about this other than what is in their newsletters and website.
Their complete history is on the website. I attended an occasional meetings
YEARS ago while in my early 20's but kind of lost interest as life came around.
  They hold area work days and I think they keep a list of things that need to
be accomplished at the area.

Anyway ..  even though I'm not actively involved in this organization other
than to sporadically maintain a membership, head over to fish (it's very close
to our personal property) and read the newsletters -- which, like so many
nonprofit organizations  usually have a " You need to be a better  and
volunteer because without volunteers we'll have to fold"  kind of theme, I
still wanted to tell you all about it. The property is close enough to St.
Louis for a day trip, it's well maintained and the fishing is usually pretty
good.

I've thought about approaching them to see about putting a cache in down there,
but I have no real feel for how it would be rec'd.  I do think it would be a
good place to have a little SLAGA get together at some time.

If you are interested in more info, send an email through their website. If you
are in the area and stop in, you must, MUST stop at the caretaker's office and
sign in.

Again, this is not meant to be a political post, if you object to their
politics, I'm sorry, if you agree then .  well ..  I suppose that's OK too ...
 but if you are looking for a well maintained, private fishing and primitive
camping spot, or some way to be more actively involved in tangible
conservation, you may want to look into this.

Also, their snail mail newsletter sells small advertising space each month (I
think less than $10.00/month) and it may be something SLAGA  or the MOGA people
may want to consider. I would think there would be a potential, reciprocal,
audience here.  It may be even worthwhile for a geocaching demo for one of
their meetings.

Nancy