[GeoStL] SYNC GSAK databases from different computers.

  • From: Gary Braman <Gary.Braman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ozmtngeocachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ozmtngeocachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:17:40 -0700

I typically do most of my Geocaching planning from the comfort of my big office
chair and 37" monitor but find them cumbersome to take with me on the road, so
I carry my laptop with me when I travel.  I like having the same GSAK data on
both computers.  In  the past, I've set up some robocopy scripts and netdrives
to keep the data in sync... blah, blah, blah.

I recently came across a VERY handy software that will automatically sync files
between any number of nodes, even across different operating platforms.

I copied my GSAK databases to the sync folder and then changed my settings in
both copies of GSAK to point to the location of the sync folder.  This works
like a charm.

The software creates a delta and you can even restore from previous versions
and access the files via the web.

Of course, the software can be used for many other uses and has other equally
impressive features such as file sharing.

The first 2 gig are FREE and it works on MAC and Linux.

The signup is during the software install.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

A great little tour - http://www.getdropbox.com/tour

FYI - Fried Okra - Camdenton, Mo.

Gary Braman