[GeoStL] Re: Paperless Caching

  • From: "Steve Bromley" <bromley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:58:05 -0500

 I have both a Palm Tungsten E and a Dell Axim Pocket PC.  I
still  use the Palm for caching because it's disposable and
my PPC, which is used for  work, isn't. I run Cachemate on
both and have uploaded the results and  logged them via GSAK
with both.  I've used various different little  programs
(GPS Sonar), Plucker between various devices and have come
to the  conclusion that the PPC stuff is, in general,
better, more intutive, and just  easier to use.  I am an
anti-Microsoft bigot, and will avoid them whenever  I have a
choice, but in this case, their Moble stuff is just better.
It's  easer to use and requires less translation back and
forth.
 When I eventually break my Palm (it is inevitable the way I
cache), I will  replace it with something along the PPC
line.  What I might do is by a  SmartPhone to replace my
current phone and demote my Axim to my caching  PDA.  One of
the biggest downsides to the Palm is that there are no plans
 to port the "WhereIGO" software over to run on that
platform.  As  "WhereIGo's" become more popular, you have a
choice to either buy a Colorado, a  SmartPhone with a GPS or
something like the Garmin Moble 10 to find them.   The
future doesn't appear to be Palm's any longer.
 This is just my $.02 worth, take it as my opinion on the
world.  It's  like cars, GPS's or anything else, everyone
has their favorite type and as long  as it does what you
need it to do, it really doesn't matter.