[GeoStL] Re: National Geographic Maps

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:02:54 -0600

-

Just my opinion, but if you're new to GPS usage and electronic mapping, =
you
might want to sit back and investigate the options for a while before
jumping into a purchase of any individual package. There are a lot of
options out there. Everything from topo packages like the NG stuff to =
run on
desktop/laptops, street navigation stuff for pda's and/or =
desktop/laptops,
and even packages that don't come with maps but can import maps from the
USGS and other sources to use.....though the latter are more work =
because
you have to go thru some steps to 'register' the maps in the s/w to gain
full functionality.

That's in no way a knock on the NG series. It certainly appears pretty
attractive....especially given their individual state packages have =
started
to come down in price. I have a similar package from www.maptech.com =
that I
wound up choosing over the NG package simply because they also offered a =
pda
compatible version of their package.

As far as maps being up to date......I doubt that's as much a problem =
with
topo packages as it is street navigation packages. To be expected as the
earth's surface doesn't change very much over time (unless ya live near =
Mt
St Helens or something of that ilk <g>). Roads OTOH change more =
frequently,
and virtually all the mapping s/w mfrs buy their data from just 2 or 3
primary sources. Consequently, if those sources have pockets of bad data
(and they all do, though it's generally minimal), then every package =
that
uses that vendor as a source will have those same pockets of bad data.

Others can speak much more fluently about geocaching usage, but IMO
Microsoft's Streets & Trips package is pretty nifty for the $$. If =
caching
is going to be your sole usage, you might want to ask more questions =
here
and also scope out the forums at www.geocaching.com. There's been some =
good
discussions over there.