[GeoStL] NGR: Question/nosy poll about cellphone GPS use

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocaching Freelist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:41:05 -0800 (PST)

All --

We're updating the SLAGA Complete GPS Course.  Thought it might be time to
include some information about GPSr's in cell phones.  The Complete GPS Course
does not deal directly with geocaching -- it's more general.  If you feel so
inclined, please respond (or, better yet, contact me off-list to avoid spamming
the list) with information about how (or if) you use the GPSr in your cell
phone.

I'm particularly interested in whether or not you use it for turn-by-turn
directions.  If so, please let me know your cell phone carrier, type of phone,
what app you use, whether or not the directions are spoken, and (if so) whether
or not they include street names.

For geocaching, please let me know your cell phone carrier, type of phone, what
app you use, and how this compares to your favorite hand-held GPSr.

Lastly, do you use it for social networking or other location-based
applications?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
(twolpert)