[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Important!!!

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:58:55 -0500

Good info, but holy cow, 30+ barrels of oil to produce one tire. At yesterday's oil price of $114/barrel, that would be $3,420 just for the oil for one tire. I didn't think that sounded possible so I did a search.

From this website:
http://www.rma.org/about_rma/rubber_faqs/

"*How much oil is required to produce a tire?*
Approximately seven gallons. Five gallons are used as feedstock (from which the substances that combine to form synthetic rubber are derived), while two gallons supply the energy necessary for the manufacturing process."

Gale

szcue@xxxxxxx wrote:

And if your having trouble with the price of tires, think about oil prices. The reason they are getting so expensive is because of the price of oil. I think it takes 30+ barrels of oil just to make one tire, it just depends on the tire size.
   Susie