[GeoStL] Re: NGR: HD Question / XP

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:10:07 -0500

- I don't know if this will work on XP, but I used this technique on NT for quite awhile since it had a 4 gig limit. It would install on a larger partition as long as it didn't have to format the drive.

You could divide the drive into smaller partitions. I would put a maintenance partition on the drive and install XP. Update it to SP1. Then use it to format the other partition. Install XP on that partition and upgrade it to SP 1 and then start using that as you "normal" bootable partition. If you cannot install on the other partition because of the allocation table format differences, then you may have to make a system copy onto the other partition (don't know how to do this), or just make the partition 137 gig, and then make another partition as a non bootable partition. Or just make your maintenance partition larger to begin with and just "eat" the space.

If you corrupt that system, then boot on your maintenance partition and you can work on the data in the other partition, or see if you can recover XP on the other partition from you maintenance partition..

Mike Griffin wrote:
Anyone know how to setup a HD on XP > 137 gig when all you have is XP. It says to support greater than 137 gig, I will need SP1 for XP. How can I get SP1 when all I have is XP and it needs to format the drive to install.. Sounds like I'm stuck in a loop..

If then Else

Mike
**************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field