[GeoStL] Re: Map Datum Question

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:51:08 -0600

-
John,

If the coords from the Dept of Interior are in NAD27 format, then YES, you
should change the GPS to that map datum. After they are entered, you can
switch back to WGS84 and the coords will be converted  and displayed in
WGS84 and still lead you to the exact same location.

I think here in the St. Louis area, the differences between NAD27 and WGS 84
are not as great as say, the West coast. I compared the numbers at 270 and
Dorsett and the North difference is about 18' and the West is about 30'.
I've read that in some areas it can be more that a 1000' feet off.